Monday, April 07, 2008

when GOD speaks; LISTEN!

I have a lot of thoughts, but let me see if I can organize them and get them to where you can understand them.

Kirk, who grew up on lake LBJ has suffered for 10 years without owning a boat. When in Lubbock, he was miserable due to the lack of water. Now that we have been in Waco for starting 3 years where there are lakes everywhere, he definitely wants to get a boat. However, those things tend to cost money. Kirk has always dreamed, wished, desired, wanted - however you want to put it, he wants a boat.

Then God has gradually been talking to Kirk. Just things happening at our church (good, on the move much needed things) and Kirk has had a change of faith and has matured even more than he already was in Christ. But Kirk still wants a boat.

We have been looking on craigslist everywhere for a boat. We decided to put Kirk's inheritance money from his papa, who taught him to ski and fish into a pot for the boat. We also added our income tax return to that pot. We have the money, but it's just finding the right boat. We keep looking. Kirk is also frugal and hates to spend this money on a "luxury" item.

Today it all broke out. Kirk found the boat we have been "dreaming" of, right boat, year, make, size, and dollar amount. But it is in Dallas. We would have to wait until baseball practice is over and miss church to get it. We call the guy back to tell him we are on our way and it had sold (in an hour)! Frustrated that we missed the deal, we headed on to church. We went to eat at Panda Express, and Kirk's fortune cookie read "Don't pass up a good oppurtunity." We laughed hard and for a long time. Kirk is still mad that he did not purchase that boat without even going to look at it. Later on after we had the kids in bed and had spent lots of time transporting things into the attic, we turn our tv on and oddly enough it is on Joel Olsteen (SP?) We watched it for a while b/c I have a student who imitates him. Then he out of nowhere makes this comment: If God gave you a dream, then you have to have enough faith to accomplish that dream. He would not give you a dream if he did not want you to achieve it.

Now, I am not promoting good ol' Joel, but it was just how it all played out. What is God telling us? We don't know, but we are listening a lot more than we were before. I love how God puts messages out there for us to read in other places than the Bible. He talks to us more than we know or realize. We just have to be listening. "When he calls my name, I will hear him. I'll be somewhere, listening for my name."

9 comments:

realitymomma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Renee said...

Wow, I like that- what he said about giving us dreams. Faith is definately key. That has been hard for me with our house not selling and being on the market for 16 months now! His timing is important and that is where the faith comes in. Just hard being patient sometimes.

Trent is the same way, been waterskiing since he was walking! Scary how he learned on his dad's feet! His parents now have one though so it took the pressure off of us! I know something will work out, especially since you have the money and everything!

Sure miss the Whittles around these parts!

The Binkley Family said...

Sometimes it is so hard for us to listen because we have made our surroundings too noisy!!! I know that is the trouble I have sometimes.

Great thoughts!

Happy Mama said...

I agree with you all the way! I think the key is you have to be looking for His guidance. I believe that God wants to have such a relationship with us that He communicates with us all the time, we just call it luck or coincidence or gut feeling. I don't believe in any of those- I believe like you do, if you are listening, God will show you exactly what, where and how He can do ANYTHING!!!

Jill said...

it seems like since i've been staying home with the kids, i hear God a lot more. because of my stubborn nature, i can't always say i obey...but i do hear him. and he ALWAYS provides for us! thanks for the reminder :)

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts...we all have dreams, which is good. I think God wants us to dream, so that we aspire to be better. It helps motivate us so that we're not stuck in a rut. I know I definitely need to work on being quiet in my spirit more so that I can listen to what God wants for our lives.

The Binkley Family said...

You have been officially tagged on my blog--check it out.

What is going on with all of the deleted comments?