Friday, July 11, 2008

Detour in Direction

As Kirk and I were talking one late night with his sister and brother-in-law, R-man told us this story:

Sometimes God uses decoys to get us to do what he wants us to. He used two coffee mugs on the table to make his point. Look at these two mugs. These represent two different things. I notice the black mug immediately and am attracted to it. I think, ok, this is what God wants for me. So I head towards the black mug. Right when I get to the mug, I find it's gone! What? I thought I was doing God's will for me. Where is my black mug? However, off on the other side is a blue mug. Where did that come from? I never saw that mug. Then you realize that the blue mug was next to the black mug when you first noticed the black mug. Since you were so attracted to the black mug, you never took notice of the blue mug. God knew you would need a "decoy" to get you to the place where he wanted you. He used the black mug to attract you to that direction and then changed the course for you.

R-man had no idea how this was so true in my own life. We were talking more about church and religion, but this was true for my professional life, too. We live in China Spring school district. We love it and are so happy with our kids going to school there. I have wanted to get a job there, but there are never openings. When there was an opening, the HS principal's wife got it before I got the interview. I kept getting frustrated. I want to be at China Spring! Then I get a call from another school five miles from our house for an interview. I then discover that the principal is a guy I knew in college. I took the job - only as a second choice. However now things are a little more clear and I realize this is the best for me and my family. It is a 1-A school, I will be teaching 8th grade English/Reading and speech. They have a daycare for teachers' kids, a preschool and Syd is exciting about transferring. We will all be at one school, I can see Tater's room from my room, I will be able to see them during the day and hopefully eat lunch with them sometimes, and attend their parties and such. I was at a school with over a 30 minute drive and I had 130 papers to grade. The work load was overwhelming epsecially with my youngins. I am so excited to get to take my kids with me and home with me. No drop offs here and there and extra stops on the way home. Pay-cut, yes; but more valuable in other ways!!!!

China Spring was my black mug and Bosqueville is my blue mug. Isn't it great that God is in control? We have no idea what is really BEST for us, but God does........

12 comments:

Jill said...

love that story, and am so excited for you. that really does sound like such a perfect situation!
we don't have much except for swim lessons in the morning so give me a call. we'd love to meet somewhere for lunch or something!

Darla said...

Wow, that mug story is so true. This is great news about your new job! I can't imagine loading all the kids up and all going to the same place for work, school, and daycare. God is good, and all the time.

Lisa Renee said...

I like that story! Could be very relative to Trent's career path here in Lubbock! I am so happy for you and where you are, however reading your blog makes me miss you! I always like hearing your insight on things accompanied by your great sense of humor! Hope you are enjoying your summer!

Happy Mama said...

Congrats on the new job! It sounds just perfect and I know God smiles when He sees that we are looking for His will, even when it is not what we expect. There is not money on this earth more valuable than peace of mind when it comes to your kids. Any mom who has stayed at home knows that. I'm going back to work too in Corpus and have a very similar situation with Hadlea at Nathan's job so I understand that relief! Who is your new principal? So happy for you!!! Glad we'll be closer- we'll have to get together.

Jenny said...

Congrats again on your new job. It's amazing how God takes care of us in ways that we never imagined.

Thanks for pointing out my little boob situation on my blog. I was hoping no one would notice!

Procters said...

Thank you for sharing your story. My boys go to school where I teach. It has always been such a blessing! I make less money at this school, but like you said, the benefits far outweight the pay.

Aubrey said...

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like such a blessing. You don't know how much I needed your mug story at the moment. Looks like God is preparing us to head towards our "blue mug" soon. Not sure where He's taking us, but I totally trust Him and know that it will be better than I could have ever imagined.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I love that we serve a God that promises to guide us. Congrats on the new job, it sounds perfect.

SS said...

What a blessing; I'm glad everything worked out. I have to admit I was getting a little confused on the blue mug, black mug story, but I get the point and you're absolutely right! So who is the new principal?

Larissa said...

Hi Amy...SuzAnne told me to come read this. You're so right, thanks for sharing that. I'll probably have to come back and read this story several more times to let it sink in.

Brad and Amy said...

Congratulations on your new job! You will love having one stop in the mornings. I took a new job last year as an assistant principal at one of the elementary schools in Azle for some of the same reasons. There was daycare for Lily and Gracie could finally be on the same campus as me. It was so nice to make one stop instead of three every morning! Isn't God great!
- Amy (Smith) Rollmann

The Binkley Family said...

Congrats! It sounds so perfect for you. Isn't God good?

How is the book coming along?