Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Junk Mail????

I go check my mail, and as usual, junk, junk, bills, oh wait; two letters to me - and it's not my b-day. WOW! One is a thank you note from my aunt, a nice surprise. The other one is addressed to me, but no return address on the envelope. Curious and excited, I tear into my letter. It is a newspaper clipping. I read the headline - "Amazing Fat Fighting Tablet Triggers Rapid Weight Loss...Even if you Cheat!" Then I notice a sticky note on the paper clipping that says, I tried this and it really works, give it a try Amy.

Now I am beyond curious. I search the envelope, marked from Santa Anna, CA. Nope, don't know anybody from there. How did I get this? Does somebody know me, and I am not thinking or what? This clipping looks like a real newspaper article and it has mutual funds stuff covering the back. Yes, I go on to read the article. It is worded a little too cheesy for synical journalists. It is too supportive and not - giving the facts. I can tell this is an "advertisement." It talks about all the diet pills that are hard to swallow and make endless promises. This is a chewable easy to eat pill - THAT IS THE SIZE OF A MINIATURE REESE'S CUP!! What, that is not easy to chew, that is a Bite. Then at the end when it gives you all the ordering info, it says, "this is according to the company when we contacted them." Remember, this is a journalist writing the article.

All in all, it is a new type of junk mail. The paper is obviously too perfectly cut for someone to have cut it out. It is obviously not written by a newspaper staff. It is very deceiving in its appearance and I can tell this has probably "captured" a lot of people who are desperate to try anything, because they think this is real and legite. Boy, does this not sound like us and satan. He sends us so much "junk mail" that we bypass as truth. We believe what it says and we buy the false product. However, if you take the time to "read" and really look at the package; it is obvious that this is false hope. We are so desperate that we are gullible to all of satan's gimicks. Satan knows our weaknesses and he will challenge us at any extreme. Don't be fooled by those deceiving promises and great testimonies. Throw junk mail away!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I to have recieved this newspaper clipping and was very curious. It was with no mailing return address but Santa Ana, Ca stamped on it from the post office. It also had a yellow postit saying my name and Try it it works! J

The Binkley Family said...

We have gotten stuff like that before too. Can't remember what it was for, but it was very curious! I think they are hoping you will be just curious enough to investigate.

Don't think I have forgotten about you! Just gotten busy. You will get some real mail soon. :)

Jennifer said...

Great post!

Darla said...

Wow, that was eye opening. I will be on the look out for such things. Sometimes in life I just seem to either over look them or believe it at the truth.

Amye said...

Hi Amy,

It's great to hear from you. I've enjoyed looking at your blog, and like you, I can't believe how big our children are getting. Your girls are growing up quickly. Sydney especially seems so much older to me.

I have added your blog to my page also. I love blogging...just wish I had more time to do it. I think it's such a fun way to communicate.

SS said...

Look at you and your deep thoughts! Not bad coming from a country bumpkin from Idalou!!! That was a really good post.

Anonymous said...

so i recieved this letter, and my bestfriend called me the night before (who lives in california) and i laughed at her saying wow thanks for the newspaper article ya know how to say a hint! and she was confused so we got to talking and i reexamined the letter and realized i dont know anyone from santa ana california...she told me to google the newspaper article name and your blog came up! i am SO glad that i ran into actually, because i was becoming uneasy about who had my address and why they were sending me this! thanks so much! God Bless!

Aubrey said...

Great post! Your thoughts were really inspiring and thought-provoking. Thanks!

Darla said...

Hey here is my email darla.sandlin@yahoo.com I can email you all the stuff I got when planning this party.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I just recived that mail too today, and guess if I got a bit confused. A newspaper clipping with a yellow postit with my name and "try this it works! J" I didn't get anything... I'm just an au pair in the US, so who would send me this? My host mom starts with a J so I though first she might sent it to me, but couldn't understand why, does she think I'm fat and need to lose some weight!? wouldn't that be crazy?
So I was thinking to check the newspaper, but realized it's no dates or a real name for it... and I also thought it was little strange way for a journalist to write... and then I found your blogg and saw the other ones comments. But I still don't get it... I'm not even an citizen in the US, so how could I get this, when I don't really exist on this address?? Someone else who understands that? Well thank you for post this in your blog, so I don't have to go around and think from who I got it. Especially that it's not my host mom... would have been kind of weird! Thank you!

Sara said...

Girl that is crazy!