Monday, January 28, 2008

Reality strikes again




Here's the situation - Kirk is out of town from Wed - Sun. I am going to San Antonio for two birthday parties. My parents are driving up as well, so I diligently pack us on Thursday and get everything ready because Mimi will allow me some FREE time! All I have to do is leave school (sneak out early at 3:30), pick up the kids, load the car up, stop for a bite to eat and cruise our way into San Antonio and be there in plenty of time to visit and enjoy a little bit of Friday night. That's easy, right?
Reality happens: I get a call at school from the nurse. Sydney has lice! WHAT? Boy did this sneak up on me. Now the whole story has changed. I don't get to leave early, I pick up the kids (it's already 5:00pm), and as soon as I get home, I load up the car. A friend calls me from Wal-Mart - she graciously picks the shampoo up for me. I feed Taytum who is screaming and meet my friend to exchange money for loot. It is now 6:15! Kids are screaming, so we might as well eat. We get home at 7:00 and now I have to start the bathing and combing process. I one at a time bathe them and shampoo their hair, not Taytum's. Then comb through all their hair (Syd has a ton...) and then I put a movie on for them, lay Tater down for a nap and go and wash my hair. We load up at 9:45 and head for San Antonio. Yes, it is a 3 hour drive, but if you read my previous blog, I am obviously one for staying up late. It turned out to be a good weekend, but at 11:30 pm Monday night I am just now finished washing sheets, changing sheets, washing coats, backpacks, hair bows and all the works. What an ordeal. This was such a WOW experience, but I don't even have to mention what kind of mom I felt like for not even noticing she had lice. How do you miss that? She is good to go now and no lice no nits. However, I do know where we get the term "nit-picky," and that - I will no longer choose to be!
As for the pics, Syd is a girl after her mommy's heart and loves basketball. AJ fell sleep with her shoes and socks on; too bad they are on her HANDS! And Tater, well another girl after mommy's heart - digging in the fridge!

5 comments:

Jill said...

oh my goodness! scarlett has a lot of hair, and i have worried about that happening to us now that she's in mother's day out...i wouldn't even know where to begin!

sorry you had so much going on when here that we couldn't see each other...maybe next time :)

Lisa Renee said...

STINK!!!
I remember when the school nurse would come around and check us for it, I LOVED that! It was so relaxin to have someone 'playing' with your hair. I hate that Sid got it. Glad its over though. You are such a good mamma.

SS said...

Lice??? Gotta love those public school systems and everything they provide for our kids. We should start making midnight phone calls because that's when I tend to do laundry also. I'm much more productive at night when everyone else is in bed.

Procters said...

So sorry! I have heard lice are inevitable if you have kids in school. Luckily, I have boys and I keep their hair really, really short.
I'm a night owl too. I get really sleepy about 8:30 or 9:00 and then I get a second wind and am good to go till about 1:00 or 2:00.

Happy Mama said...

Did you ever think these would be the kinds of adventures you would be writing about? Oh well, it's just like dirty diapers, throw-up and yes, even lice. When it's your kid- it's not that bad, you do it and wait for the next thing to come up! Hang in there mommy!