Monday, February 04, 2008

what i did not learn in my education classes

we say the kids (teens) of today are problems and are messed up. i, for the past several years, have been sheltered to what is really going on out there. teaching at lubbock christian was such a blessing, that i now know i took it for granted. being in a HUGE school and having kids from all walks of life, i am exposed and being reintroduced to the public school system.

yes, there are some great kids out there. however, there are some facing more than i would ever want to face in a life time. despite their behavior, weekend fun, and their laziness; these kids are CONQUERORS! right before christmas break one of my students lost her autistic brother. he never woke up one morning. then another student who lost her older sister in a carwreck last march lost her middle sister two weeks ago. that is two sisters in less than a year. then this past thursday another student went home from school to find dad had committed suicide.

what is going on? i am not kidding when i say out of 129 students probably 15-20% have "normal" homes. that means a mommy, daddy, and they some-what get along and that kid is some-what sound. it might be less than that. the same kid who lost his dad, his mother is in a coma and has been for 11 years. does that explain rehab and probation?

my heart is aching for these kids. they need so much love and as seniors are way too cool to say it or even dare act as though they appreciate it. what an inner struggle. it really has put things in perspective for me especially after being home for 4 years and only being around church kids.

this is definitely not what i was expecting as teacher. i am thankful i am not a new teacher experiencing this. it seems minute, but when you see how easily and tenderly the other students are affected, it really knocks you out for a while. please pray for today's generation. they are tough little suckers, but as we know as women: you can be strong for only so long, then you break!

6 comments:

Jill said...

my heart is hurting for them. i taught in a public school, but it was a small, neighborhood community, and we were pretty sheltered. still, as i got toward the end of my "career" there, i saw things starting to turn.
i'm sure you are such a light to them...even if they won't admit it :) God is surely using you to bless their lives!

The Binkley Family said...

It is sad to see that the family structure is diminishing and in its place is a great deal of heartache.

I know that you can be a good influence in their lives. I had some rough times in high school and there are a few teachers who helped me getting through some tough stuff!

SS said...

I taught 6 years at a pretty ghetto high school, outside of Dallas. I promise that I understand what you're talking about. The flip side is that some of them will suprise you and turn out to be successful people, inspite of their circumstances. Doesn't it make you appreciate your family and "good ole Idalou?"

Happy Mama said...

I am so glad they have someone like you who cares about them and kids are smarter than we think- they can sniff out a fake so I know you are doing a lot of good there. This is our prayer every night that we are alert and aware that Satan is attacking our families and homes- I unfortunately experienced this first hand recently with a family member and it is truly scary what can happen when Satan gets control. It is also amazing what HE can do if you let HIM in as well- sorry, preaching to the choir here....

Sara said...

Thank God for teachers like you that really care, Amy. Really, you have such a sweet caring spirit.
Thanks for this post. It makes me very appreciative of where I came from, and as 'dysfunctional' as I thought we was, I've now realized how not-dysfunctional we were.
Awesome post.

Sara said...

...how dysfunctional I thought we WERE...excuse me :)